Governance and finance
CSW’s main office is in London, UK. We also have offices in Brussels, Belgium; and Washington DC, USA.
We operate an open management style and always encourage all staff, at whatever level within the structure or however junior in terms of length of service, to participate fully in the decision making process.
We recognise that everyone has specialities and strengths, and we want to use those qualities to enhance our decision making process. We therefore consult with all relevant parties before making a final decision.
Although the structure is hierarchical, nevertheless we have a Bible-based ethos of ‘servant leadership’. No one in CSW should be too senior, too qualified, or indeed too ‘spiritual’ to listen to and learn from others. If put into practice effectively, this ethos should mean that our individual weaknesses are covered by our colleagues’ strengths. From President to volunteer, we aim to be a Christ-centred, prayerful team.
CSW is overseen by a Board of Trustees and Strategic Leadership Team. More details are on the Our team page.
Board of Trustees/directors
This Board is legally responsible for the work of the organisation. As Trustees/Directors they are responsible to the Charity Commission and as Company Directors to Companies House. Their responsibility covers:
- Overall direction and mission of the organisation;
- Strategic planning;
- Approving annual accounts and annual budget;
- Appointing, appraising and dismissing the Chief Executive;
- Appointing Board Directors;
- Appointing members to the Executive Committee;
- Appointing members to the Policy Committee;
- Appointing members to the Governance Committee;
- Legal accountability for all aspects of CSW’s activity.
- Approving annual budget for ratification by the Board;
- Monitoring financial health of the organisation;
- Involvement in senior appointments;
- Approving senior staff salaries;
- Approving major projects;
- Carrying on the business of CSW between Board meetings.
- Approving and reviewing governance policies and procedures including trustee training and development;
- Reviewing the performance of individual trustees and the board as a whole;
- Acting as a search committee for new members.
Board of Reference
This is made up of prominent people who publicly support our work to uphold religious freedom for all. This Board never meets, but from time to time members are asked to help us campaign on specific issues.
Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible for the operational and strategic leadership of the organisation;
- Responsible, together with the Board, for safeguarding and promoting CSW's identity as a religious freedom organisation;
- Acting as an ambassador for CSW in the UK and internationally.
Chief operating Officer
- Managing and strategically developing the organisation on behalf of the Board;
- Preparing and implementing the annual budget;
- Responsible for all staff appointments, salaries and personnel issues.
Departmental Directors (Communications and Finance)
- Managing and setting the strategy for the departments on behalf of the Chief Operating Officer;
- Preparing and monitoring departmental budgets;
- Appointing, managing and training departmental staff.
Strategic Leadership Team
The CEO, COO, Head of Fundraising, Departmental Directors, and Senior Advocacy Team Leaders form the Strategic Leadership Team, which regularly meets to discuss strategic and operational issues.
For every £1 we receive, 88p goes to our charitable objectives. We spend the other 12p on governance and raising more money. We take seriously the stewardship of resources, both financial and human, and we work hard to make sure the money we receive is spent as effectively as possible. Find out more about what we do. Download our Annual Report to view our latest audited accounts.