29 May 2014
18 April marks the seven-year anniversary of the Malatya murders, when three Christians were killed at a publishing house in Malatya, eastern Turkey.
Turkish citizens Necati Aydin and Ugur Yuksel, and Tillman Geske, a German citizen, were tortured and killed at the offices of Zirve Publishing House, a Christian business, by five young Muslims.
The trial of the five alleged murderers began on 22 November 2007 at the Third Criminal Court in Malatya. However the five men accused of the murders have been freed on bail following changes to the law. It’s a heartbreaking time for the families of the victims, so please keep them in your prayers.
This week, please:
- Pray for the victims’ families following the release on bail of the five accused men;
- Pray for wisdom for the victims’ families, that they would know how to respond to this news;
- Ask God to enable justice to be served in the Malatya murder case;
- Pray that the allegations of a wider conspiracy would be thoroughly investigated;
- Thank God for the steps the Turkish government has taken to uphold religious freedom, including returning confiscated church property;
- Pray for CSW’s work on Turkey, revealing the truth of religious freedom violations which are often go unreported;
- Pray for churches in Turkey as the changing political situation affects their religious freedom.