40 for 40
This year CSW celebrates our 40th anniversary! We’ve come a long way since our beginnings in 1979. We’ve worked with some amazing people and seen incredible developments both for ourselves and in the field of human rights – but there’s still a long way to go.
We want to use our 40th birthday to really push for new breakthroughs in religious freedom all over the world, through advocacy, training, campaigning and more. The last 40 years have been amazing with your support: would you help us again this year?
Here’s some ideas for how you can get involved:
- Donation bingo: Make a grid of 40 squares with amounts from £1 to £40, and hold a game of bingo with your friends.
- Charity auctions are a tried and tested crowd pleaser: try to get 40 items!
- MoneyMile: 1 mile of mixed copper coins (1 pence and 2 pence) makes over £1,000. Great for schools and children, youth and student groups.
- Get sponsored to drink only water for 40 days. One of our amazing Ambassadors did this for a whole year!
- There’s nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned bake sale: make 40 cakes (challenge yourself by trying to make 40 different types!) and sell them to family, friends and your church.
- Have a sponsored dress up day: dress like you’re from the 1940s or from CSW’s founding year, 1979.
- Living room gigs: Get a talented musical friend or local band to play in your living room and charge £4 for
- Share a ride for 40 days: Find someone you can car share with and donate the money that would have been spent on public transport.
- Be sponsored to take up something new and challenging for 40 days, such as dancing or knitting.
- Sponsored sports tournament: For example, hold a football tournament between different churches in your area and charge £4 for entry.
- Sweet tube: Buy a mega size Smarties/Buttons/Fruit Pastilles tube and fill it with all your loose change, or £1 coins until it’s full.
- Or make small cakes and biscuits, and see how many you can sell for 40p each.
- If you turn 40 with us this year, we’d be honoured if you donated your birthday to us.
- Auction 40 minutes of your expertise: maybe you have a skill you can give a 40 minute lesson in, or you can spend 40 minutes cooking someone an amazing meal.
- Swap shop: Get together with friends to swap your unwanted but still good condition clothes/household items. Participants pay £4.
- Get 40 people (friends, colleagues, random strangers) to do a 40 minute challenge. Try 40 push-ups or skipping for 40 minutes!
- Round the world afternoon tea: Hold a tea- or coffee-tasting event featuring drinks from different countries CSW works on, such as Colombian coffee or Sri Lankan tea.
- Hold a popcorn fundraiser: Make various flavours of popcorn and sell them at a bake sale or after church.
- You could get together a flash mob of 40 people if you’re feeling really daring.
- Charity walk with a difference: What would it look like to walk in the shoes of persecuted believers? Participants could do a sponsored walk to church with a rucksack full of 40 Bibles, mirroring people who have long, arduous journeys to church, and those who smuggle Bibles into places where they’re forbidden.
- Themed nights: Choose a country CSW works on, and cook and show films connected to that country. You could make a curry and watch a Bollywood film, or have fajitas and watch Pixar’s Coco or The Book of Life. Each participant donates £4.
- Treasure hunt: Get permission from your church to hide 40 items within the grounds of the church, and charge £4 for entry.
- How about a sponsored 40 hour or 40 minute silence?
- Try a 40 mile fundraiser run/cycle/ walk/etc: get sponsorship for every mile you cover.
We’d love to hear your ideas too. Could you even try a different challenge every day for 40 days? Get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you’re up to!
#2 CSW manifesto
We believe no one should suffer discrimination, harassment or persecution because of their beliefs